July 19, 2005

Favorite Movies Over Time

Here's a fun game. Tyler Cowen charted the evolution of his "favorite movie" over the years. This seems like an easy exercise, let's see... I was born in December 1981, so:
1985 – Big Bird Goes To China

1989 – Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade

Jan. '93 – Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade

Mar. '93 – Terminator 2

Apr. '93 – Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade

1999 – Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade

2005 – Indiana Jones and the Raiders of the Lost Ark
Surprise twist at the end, but let me tell you, I've revised my thinking dramatically since graduating college. Admittedly I have pretty boorish tastes in movies. Don't get me wrong, I think Persona is fantastic and the Bicycle Thief gets me teary-eyed every time I see it, but my approach is: if I wanted human drama and complex emotional interplay, I could always pick up a good novel. Allan Hollinghurst recently came out with something new, I see. That will do. Only the screen, however, can dole out the fast pace and thundering score that a rogue archaeologist with a whip and fedora truly deserves.
-- Brad Plumer 7:18 PM || ||